Automat not firing the solenoids

Hello, I am using ableton with the push two to try and control my dadamachine set up.

I have followed all the instructions and the automat is receiving midi information from ableton(lights in the automat flicker in time) but it does not moving the attached solenoids. I’ve tried multiple solenoids with different cables, adapters and midi channels. (all solenoids and cables etc that I use are a part of the kit)

Nothing fires the output.

Thoughts?

@johnmoeb bit hard to tell what is going on.
Did you check this: https://dadamachines.com/getstarted/automat-setup-in-ableton-live/ ?

• My first guess would be that the notes you are sending are maybe too short?
  • Besides that. Maybe check if the power plug from the power supply is pushed in the automat completely. The LEDs work as well if there is only the USB connection.

Hi John,

This may be an obvious question, but do you have the Automat power supply unit plugged in?

The automat will flash its LEDs in response to a MIDI input if it’s connected via USB, but USB doesn’t have enough ‘juice’ to move the solenoids, so you have to have the chunky PSU plugged in as well.

From the spec: “USB Powered - only for development / hacking without Actuators connected.”

Just a thought :wink:

Martin

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,

I just got back from tour and tried it again.

To confirm, I did follow the directions here: https://dadamachines.com/getstarted/automat-setup-in-ableton-live/

“My first guess would be that the notes you are sending are maybe too short?”

I have entered multiple lengths and still nothing.

“Besides that. Maybe check if the power plug from the power supply is pushed in the automat completely. The LEDs work as well if there is only the USB connection.”

I have 100% made sure it is connected everywhere properly.

Is it possible that my automat is faulty?

Please let me know how to continue or maybe you could help me via skype? It’s a bit of a bummer as I really wanted to get started on this project I’ve been waiting a year for.

Let me know and thanks so much for your time!

Yep. Everything is plugged in properly.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Best,

John

Seems to work now.

Tried using my Rev2 as a controller. It worked, then plug it back into ableton, and it works now.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem. The solonoids fired perfectly yesterday using Ableton Live. Today, with the exact same file and setup - they now make a slight noise but don’t actuate.

One of the solonoids grew very hot.

Following johnmoeb, I tried to fire with another device (a keyboard) but it did not correct the problem. It would be hefpful to identify the source of the problem and the remedy.

@FloatMuse

1. The solenoids get hot when you leave the output on. You should always check if one of the outputs is still on when you leave your setup for the night.
  2. When the solenoids are not firing the power supply is probably not connected well enough.