Help with sourcing solenoids.

Hello. Can anyone give me the specs for what to search for in solenoids and is there a better place to look than eBay?
Thank you !

Hello @Xaxua44 what kind of solenoids do you want to get. We actually developed a couple of new solenoid designs for the automat toolkit this year. I hope we can bring them to the shop in the next couple of month. For single projects ebay is often a good source. But it of course also depends where you live.
The default solenoids from the toolkits are 24V / 50ohms / 0.5A.

Thank you Johannes. I’m looking to try a variety. Will 12v and 6v work as well, or only 24v. ?

Ps I will be on the lookout for your designs in the shop. Thanks

You can also use 6V or 12V solenoids.

If you overdrive them with 24V the power consumption will multiply by 4. So at some point you will hit the limit what amount of power you can run through your automat.
So that you get more force with less current is the reason why we use 24V.

But in general you can supply 9V-24V to your automat. So it will also work at 9V, 12V,…18V… whatever voltage in between 9V and 24V.

Awesome! Thank you!!!

Oh quite interesting. Are they just slightly different/improved versions of the existing ones or are they different different?

I am thinking to add the following options:

• 1.-Current Design - double the force
  • 2.-A much smaller version of the current “open frame” solenoid design.
  • 3.1-Tubular solenoid small size - super quiet - for fixed instrument setups
  • 3.2-Tubular solenoid medium size - super quiet - for fixed instrument setups

0 voters

For option 3.1 I could possibly build an adapter to the current solenoid design/element options.

1 Like

One more quick question, what is the connector that connects the solenoid wires to the automat?

You can sometimes find them searching for “DC adapter 5.5 2.1 spring” for example on ebay or amazon.