How to Control LEDs?

How do you control LEDs with the automat?

Is there a specific light that works well?

Thanks!

G

@Geraldmbailey do you want to use only LEDs or solenoids + LEDs on one or multiple outputs?
I have recently designed a splitter which goes in place of the DC Adapter you clip on the solenoids. This splitter has a LED on it, to give indications to every solenoid. As well you can connect a LED Strip (24V) with that splitter.
If you connect LEDs / Strips at the same time with a solenoid on one output make sure to use a protection diode after the solenoid (search for flyback diode - the type i recomment is 1N4007).
In general you can use LEDs with different voltage needs - 12V or 24V and many other types - depending on how you make the connection / and what voltage you feed to the automat.
So much regarding the hardware side.

Regarding software i hope i will be able to make a special version for light control at some point. Happy for everyone who wants to work on this - as the software source is on github.
I can imagine some might be interested in brightness control with the velocity value.

On our Loopin’Lab Machine, I simply wired an LED strip in parallel with the affected solenoid, only using a 12V Power Unit.
See here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi4bCqMg_IU/?taken-by=loopinlab
Currently I’m going back to the 24V Unit, putting a step-down converter in-between, so I can also better adjust the velocities.
I did not user a flyback diode (never thought of this, being a real electronics Noob). Is this risky? I did not think it would be an issue, putting them parallel?

1 Like

@dimjon i think you should add diodes to protect the DC/DC step down module and LED strips.
I tried without diode in the past and my LEDs did not survive. So i think you where lucky :wink:

Thank you… Lucky me… :slight_smile:

I still don’t understand why it’s necessary, as the Power is DC from the beginning, so the need for a rectifyer is still a miracle to me - but that’s the case for most electronics, so never mind… :smiley:

(or is it because the solenoids induce a current back when they return? That’s the only explanation I could think of… :thinking:)

@dimjon the time the plunger moves backward in the coil of the solenoid it actually generates power.

Thanks for all you help! I’m successfully sequencing lights. I plan to explore the solenoid/led splitter setup sometime in a few months.

Ok - good to know, as I’m just inserting step-down converters. So I guess you would wire the LEDs like this?oo_Solenoid%26Diode

@dimjon this is the schematic of the splitter i am getting ready right now. if you want i can send you a pack of 12 for your setup. will receive the test PCBs sometime the next week i think.
It doubles some components so you can either work with SMD or THT parts. As well it allows multiple connection options for adding LEDs.

Please note:

• Connection to the solenoid is on top of the schematic [J2]
  • Connection to the automat is on the bottom [J1]
  • Add a 24V LED (with series resistor already in the cable) or 24V LED Strip [J3]
  • Add a LED and solder the series resistor (R2 or R1) on the PCB
  • LED1 - Solder a LED directly on the PCB and add R1 or R2

Hi all, I’m right in the middle building a live setup which I’d like to insert small LEDs , this is great info - thanks!
Just 2 questions : @ nevvkid : where can I get the splitters and extra power cables, do you have a good source? (they might as well match the existing cables I got with my Dadamachine) also tips for what / where for the diodes would be great - thanks!

That would be great. Thanks a lot for the offer. I will DM you for further details.

Hello, I’m interested… please let me know how to order the splitters
Cheers

Indeed!

Same here actually.

Hi there, I’d be pretty interested in these spillters, too. Are they still available?
All best…

Hi Johannes,
I’d be very interested in theses Led splitters too, are they available?
Please let me know, thanks!
All the best,
Pascal

@johannes Is it still possible to order splitters or not?
Thanks

Hi everydody,
So Johannes, can we buy these led splitters you designed?
I’m really interested in purchasing them for my 6 solenoids.

Thanks Johannes, it’s really helpful to me.

Hi ,
Has anybody been able to build the splitter using the schematic of Johanes to connect leds to the solenoides?

If someone did, I’d be happy to pay him or her to build that for me or maybe if you can recommand someone that would be amazing!
Thanks! Regards

@johannes I’d be very interested in buying the splitter… is it available somewhere? Did anybody else find some infos about automat w/Leds? many thanks, Zeno